Friday, October 14, 2011

First-Time Recipe: Rice Milk



Why: The recipe looked simple and could possibly replace the Trader Joe's almond milk I use instead of regular milk.

Mods: A tablespoon of sweetener seemed like too much so I decreased to MAYBE a teaspoon. I also cut the water to 3 cups for a thicker consistency.


How: Throw everything in the blender and go. Or so I thought. A couple minutes into blending the blender sounded like it was whirring but not blending. The rice milk was moving but the motor didn't sound quite right. Stop. Mix with a spatula. Puree. Nothing changed. 

Result: Rice milk that separates a little too quickly and tastes like rice water. Unappetizing but at least I only wasted a cup of rice.


Next Time: I'll add the full tablespoon of sweetener and start slower on the blender. I'd also like to use brown rice instead for a more nutritious dairy-free drink. If these changes don't work, I'm moving on to a different recipe or "milk" altogether.


Rating: 2

1 comment:

  1. I used to make rice milk (probably should again) and used the following recipe: 1/2 cup organic cooked brown rice, 2 cups of water. If you want it sweetened you can add vanilla and 1/2-1 Tbsp. brown sugar will dissolve better than white. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete